Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How much experience do I need to enter an amateur boxing match, and are there any age limitations?

I'm a 29 year old female and I discovered boxing at my gym about 4 months ago. I feel like I finally found a sport that I LOVE and can't get enough of. I am determined to get better and better and I'm wondering if there are any beginner matches for someone like me, and I'm hoping I haven't found my passion too late in life. Any suggestions?|||Im not going to answer the whole of your question but when you say you've found the passion too late in life, just remember this:





Anythings possible as long as you try.


Its NEVER too late as long as you try.


And you can do well with it... as long as you try!





By the way if you've just discovered it then my advice is look for a boxing club/gym in your area, keep training and when your fit enough then get a medical check, if they say you are ok you will be aloud to fight as an amateur boxer.|||Your not to old get some good training and have some fun|||There are beginner matches, even if you are brand new (forget about the age thing - it's too late to become a pro, but you have YEARS of fight in you as an amateur.) I think 4 months of training is pretty early to enter a contest, but if you are determined, go for it! If nothing else it's an experience builder and will help you focus on the holes in your boxing.


Many cities have boxing clubs that host tournaments for amateurs - make sure you ask about a female division. Most tourneys have female divisions, but I've seen events where no women showed up or only one, so she didn't get to fight. It's a sad truth, so be aware of that possibility. You don't have to be sponsored, you just pay entry fees and show up for weigh-ins that same day. You can typically find event listings on google. Or since you are in a gym now, ask your coach!


Fight day you'll have to take all your own gear (head, mouth, wraps, crotch protector, etc.) and bring a friend to corner you. A good corner-coach can see things you may not, so train yourself to listen to them during the event. If at all possible, get someone to video tape your bout - a tripod helps keep the camera stable. You'll learn a LOT about your footwork, head movement, etc.


And train your butt off. Focus on the most basic things - cardio, footwork and defense. The punches come somewhat naturally, footwork and stamina don't! I'm assuming you spar at the gym. Spar against someone better/stronger than you are. Get used to getting hit hard so it's not a shock when you get in this contest. The first few times I took a hard punch my mind shut down and I forgot all my training. Learn to relax under pressure. It's magic!


Be patient in the ring, too. Don't look for the KO in this one...try to learn from it. If you go in like you're some kind of prodigy you'll end up throwing wild garbage, off balance yourself, and get clocked. Ride the adrenaline, don't get carried away. It's easy to come out blasting when the first bell rings, but if you go too hard you gas and a smart opponent will take you apart by the end of the first round.


Good luck - you'll be fine if you use your head.








And if you don't find a local fight - get ready to travel. Or start your own fight club - put something up in the gym, at kickboxing/karate schools, or in the paper and get a half dozen females with the same interest together in your gym. I'm willing to bet that the gym owner would love an enthusiastic student who brought him more females to train. He might charge your group a little for using the ring, but if a few women sign up for training, he might let you have it free for like 2 hrs a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment